Friday, September 5, 2008

Republican Convention

I like McCain. I like Palin. I don't doubt their motivation or sincerity. I think they both gave excellent speeches at the Republican Convention and I liked a lot of what I heard. While I would argue with some of their specific attacks on their Democratic rivals, I'll leave that to the media pundits. In the spirit of understanding I'm choosing to make this blog about some of my more conceptual thoughts. Admittedly my own interpretation but, nonetheless, a valid and honest perspective.

McCain tried hard to pick up and own the issue of change. He spoke of crossing the aisle and I readily admit he has done that in the past. This is a key component of making Washington work again. This is THE key required to actually implement change. There must be a search for common ground. There must be compromise. The problem with McCain's speech was that he used the word 'fight' 22 times saying, basically, that he would "fight for YOU". Fight is not what we need. Fight is what we've had. Fight is not change. It might fire up the base, but it is indicative of a generally aggressive approach that necessarily means 'win-lose'. I don't care how strongly a position is held... no actual progress can possibly be made in a democracy by fighting with the other side. This antagonistic attitude is the opposite of change.

I was particularly distressed with the education section of McCain's speech. I believe his approach would make things much worse. He spoke of improving schools through 'competition'. Many will disagree but I think this defies common sense. I am, quite frankly, sick to death of the 'free market god' seemingly worshipped by many Republicans. Competition and privatization are no more a panacea for the world's problems than big government is. School vouchers or not.... competition in our school system can only bring further discrimination and inequality. Those with enough money will be able to send their kids to the "Neiman Marcus" or "Saks Fifth Avenue" of schools while the voucher-only crowd will be forced to attend the "Wal-Mart" school or maybe even "Dollar General". Even strict limitation of the argument to public schools still guarantees that schools will be forced to succumb to whatever is popular with parents and students instead of what's right and effective toward the best possible education. We need leadership to fix our badly broken education system - not competition.

McCain also used the word 'country' 25 times. He spoke eloquently of his heroic service to this country. He is to be commended and greatly appreciated for that service. We are all forever indebted to all those who have sacrificed to make this country great. Chants of 'U-S-A' were heard regularly throughout the speech. 'Country first' was a recurring theme. As a very generalized theory it seems 'Country First' may accurately represent the highest value of the Republican party as a whole. For the Democratic party I think the highest value might be better expressed as 'Humanity First'. No slam intended here at all. Of course Republicans care deeply about humanitarian issues just as Democrats love and sacrifice for their country. It is simply a matter of priorities.

I fully realize that political conventions are about putting the best possible spin on your candidate and the worst possible spin on the opponent, but the overall dismissive attitude toward Obama during the entire event was just silly and, I hope, offensive to many undecided voters. Obama was made a caricature of fluffy words with no substance to support them. Words are important; words can find common ground; words seek to understand and be understood; words affect change. I would much rather take such words to our potential adversaries than threats. Yes, evil exists and negotiations won't always work. I'm not naive and neither is Obama. Guns always remain an option when words fail... but without words -- the ONLY option is guns. To dismiss Obama's approach as unrealistic and naive is to guarantee that more precious lives will be lost than absolutely necessary. 'Negotiate from strength' is a quote often used to justify an aggressive foreign policy. To deny the power of words is to eliminate negotiation altogether. This is not strength - it is self-righteous stubbornness.


P.S. I have to close with this more petty dig that just ruffled my feathers the wrong way. Palin is being touted repeatedly as some kind of governmental savior because of her executive experience. Her role as governor seems to somehow guarantee that she knows how to break through the bureaucracy of government and get things done. Hmmmmmmmmm..... let me think..... As I recall - George W. was governor for 6 years before being elected president! 'nuff said!

No comments: