Tuesday, January 19, 2010

60 Votes

I am sick of the way wrangling takes place in the US Senate. I see pundits consistently say that 'the will of the people' is behind killing real health care reform. Balderdash! The will of the people, in a democracy, is represented by 50% plus 1. The 60-vote requirement in the Senate to kill a filibuster and allow a bill to be voted on has nothing to do with the will of the people. Without the 60-vote requirement, REAL health care reform would have passed months ago as clearly desired by the majority of senators representing the true will of the people. This long standing Senate rule (click here for a brief explanation and history) can certainly have it's advantages but I believe, in today's reality, it has long outlived it's usefulness. The 60-vote rule is currently being used for exactly one purpose -- obstruction. It is, in fact, a way to prevent the will of the people. Getting a 60 vote majority on any issue of substance these days is nearly impossible. Even if the Republicans held a majority I would feel the same way. I might not like the result in all cases, but what I dislike more than anything is the inability of our government to take decisive action on the tough choices. I am disgusted by the 'gimmes' Senators are walking away with in order to 'sell' their vote toward the magical number 60. I am disgusted by the process which allows it, but I am even more disgusted by the Senators who will 'negotiate' for such things instead of voting their conscience OR the will of their constituents. I understand this is legal, fully in keeping with Senate ethics and even encouraged as the standard traditional way business is conducted in the Senate, but that doesn't make it right. Negotiation and compromise are good and necessary things. Obstructionism and self-serving sellouts are not.


I am fully aware that there is not a snowball's chance of this rule changing, but -- for a long time there wasn't a snowball's chance of Barack Obama being elected President either! I've never been one to advocate because a position is popular. My opinions reflect my informed position of conscience and no amount of bribery, legal or otherwise, is going to change that! Kill the Filibuster!

No comments: